Monday, January 5, 2009

Wow! It's been over a month!

Ok, ok. I know that neither I nor either of you are surprised by this. But it's a new year. Time to turn a new leaf... or just update again. So a quick rundown...

On the political front, Nashville is currently in early voting for a special referendum vote... or something like that. I am about to go to Korea and get back the day before the "special" election, so I went ahead and voted On Friday, the first day of early voting, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. In a nutshell, I knew how I felt about the first issue, of making all metro business English only (which I voted against). I prefer accessibility for people and a more global world view over tumbling back into the Southern way of trying to maintain dominance over people that do not look or talk like I do. It is pretty amazing to me that this law is even up for a vote. It seems like such a step backwards.

The other item to vote for was some garbage about easing the requirements for putting special votes like this before people and some other stuff. Now, as I mentioned before, I am all about making stuff more accessible to people, so there are aspects of this proposal I am in favor of, but there was more that I wasn't in total agreement with. In the end I voted for this amendment, but after further thought, I decided that I had voted the wrong way. I guess voting requires a learning curve. Essentially, I am thinking that I shouldn't have voted for that amendment because of the things I didn't like. And I disliked the bad things more than I liked the ok things. So, in a nutshell, I learned to not vote "for" something unless I am "for" all of it. One crappy thing is that I looked all over, and I couldn't find anything saying that was being voted for along with the "english-only" amendment. So I had to make a decision while at the vote location. I tend to like to ponder things more and felt a bit rushed. Hopefully other voters will spend more time than me contemplating that issue and vote in a way that saves my butt (so I can feel ok about my mistake).

I guess the other relevant bit of info is that tomorrow I leave with my sister to go to Korea for a couple of weeks. If I am able to post updates from my trip it will be here. I know you will be on the edge of your seat clicking refresh every few minutes waiting for some interesting bits, but please, try to breathe. It may not happen.. but I will try.

No comments: