Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snowing in Hwacheon

I woke up this morning to a snowy landscape and more snow falling. I am in Hwacheon, South Korea, the small town near where my sister lives/works. We are staying in a nice apartment here in town and will be here for the duration of my trip.

Yesterday, we got to Tori's village and to her homestay home to meet her family. After some tea (made with some homegrown herbs and some "medicinal" mushrooms from the mountain) we headed into Hwacheon for some tennis with some other guys, including the principal of the local elementary school and a Pastor. I played two sets, each with Tori's host dad and each against a different opposing team. Glad to say I represented the USA well because we won both sets. I have now been called out for some table tennis on Sunday. We will see how that works out.

Today we visit the ice festival here in Hwacheon. We will be doing some ice fishing, some ice soccer, and generally playing in the winter outdoors. I hurt my wrist when I tripped during tennis yesterday, but hopefully that won't bother me in my outdoor pursuits today.

Right now, the challenge I am having is finding cash. Establishments take plastic here, but I prefer to use cash when in foreign countries like this. I found an ATM in Seoul early on that worked for me, but no luck since and my cash supply is dwindling... I will need to figure that one out....

1 comment:

Tim Martin said...

I can't tell you how proud I am that your preparations at Rustici Software are paying off. It's all about educational opportunities.